Saturday, January 10, 2009

staving off boredom one book at a time

I am bored today. so bored that i can't even find anything entertaining on the internet. but, right beside the computer is my bookshelf. I have spent the last half hour just trying to figure out what is on it. see, most of my books are packed away in boxes in the garage. this bookshelf is filled with such randomness, i believe it needs to be catalogued.

so here goes:

bottom shelf: Our good children's books, i think mom brought these out for some little b&b guests. James Herriot plays a big role here, as do the Berenstein Bears and Madeline.

second shelf: computer stuff, packets of printer and lined paper, a watercolour of a first nations woman done by my grandfather (the only one of his paintings that i can claim as mine, why is this not up, its in a frame and everything?!)

second from the top shelf: box of computer software, 4 photo albums mostly from my London semester, copies of The Beaver (yes I am a good Canadian Historian), Fast Talking Dames, and a book on how to make Rag Dolls.

Top shelf: various textbooks I did not bring to Victoria (who really wants to re-read The Theaetetus of Plato?), some Colette, some Roald Dahl, 2 What Not to Wear books from the original British series, and a stuffed cat that plays Jingle Bells.

But the Ultimate is the middle shelf, it contains: 6 Thornton W. Burgess books about the "Green Forest" (My and my brother's favourite show on TV when we were little, who knew my Dad had the books?), two Sewing books from the 50s and 60s, and 8, count them 8 Pollyanna books! The Pollyanna books were gifts to my grandmother from one of her aunts back in England. The scary thing is, these are 1960s editions. She received these books when she was in her 50s. I actually read the original two one summer, just to see what they were about. Everyone is annoyed by her until they grudgingly take part in her "gladness" and become happier nicer people. Its actually a pretty good attitude towards life, finding things to be glad about even though your life is crap, but she just takes it too far (just watch Happy Go Lucky) Inflicting one Pollyanna book on someone is enough, but 8! That's torture!

I hope you enjoyed your tour of my "Bookshelf o' Randomness"!

No comments: