Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Sucked in

I got sucked into the most terrifying tv show this morning.

So terrifying that I had to change the channel at some parts.

So terrifying that I am pretty sure there is still half a bowl of Life cereal on the bookshelf by the TV.

Apparently terrifying does not go with breakfast.


What show was this you ask?

It was an episode of Dr. Who with David Tennant as the Doctor.

I believe the episode was called "Blink".

I am not an avid watcher of the new Dr. Who series, but I did watch all of the old ones when they were played, often in black and white, on YTV when I was little.  My brother and I had definitely perfected saying "Exterminate!" like a Dalek, and I wanted my own K-9.  If I do watch the new series, I like David Tennant as the Doctor the best, but I have only seen three or four episodes max.  The episodes I have seen still had large elements of cheese to them, especially in set design or monster creation, which allowed you to separate yourself from the story a bit.

This one has stone angel statues that look like any garden statue (except when you finally see their faces, those still have a lot of cheese).  Stone angels that move when you aren't looking.  This is the stuff of my nightmares!

What is weird is that I thought the show would be scary right from the beginning,  the girl jumps a fence and breaks into a scary old house for crying out loud.  recipe for scary!  And yet I kept watching...

but then I saw that the girl was played by Carey Mulligan, an actress that has been in a lot of things I have wanted to see lately, and then she finds a note of the wall from the Doctor, and I figured, "Oh, its Dr. Who, it won't be too scary...."  So I kept watching.  And then it got scarier and scarier, but by that time I had to know how it would end.

And the whole time I was thinking, "Oh my god!  When did Dr. Who get so scary?!!!"

My mom came home and found me with both feet up on the chair, knees under my chin, with a death grip on the arms of the chair.

In the end, it was a really well done episode, I was really impressed actually...



I just don't know if I will sleep tonight.

4 comments:

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Yeah, "Blink" has the reputation of being both the most brilliant Doctor Who episode ever, and also the scariest. I seriously stopped watching Doctor Who for about a year after I saw "Blink", because I got so terrified.

...but now we've gotten back into it, and "Blink" is sitting on my DVR, and I'm reeeeally tempted to re-watch it and show it to Ky.

C said...

Yeah, it was a really good episode, just so scary! You should definitely show it to Ky, but she has to be in the right frame of mind (ie. prepared for it to be scary) and maybe save time for watching something silly afterward

Anonymous said...

Love that episode, but come on.... who thinks of crazy creepy inspirations like that?? insane!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.