Tuesday, January 19, 2010

I think I like it

I think I am starting to like this library school thing.

I am still not sure if I like all of the classes or not, well, considering I have only had two of them more than once so far, but I am liking the people, and some of the things I am finding out.

I like that we get to do actual practical assignments. Today we had a group assignment to catalog a random collection of things from our prof's kitchen. I worked with four other people that I hadn't even spoken to yet, and we all brought our different ideas to the table when designing our catalog. My control freak nature came through, and I actually said "Don't you put things on the wrong side of my kitchen!" to a guy in our group who wanted to put the meat tenderizer with the appliances. But I, perhaps not to subtly, led my group to victory in having the most logical organization in our catalog. We even broke out our new vocabulary, which was awesome!

We also had a career's night today for Special Librarians, and I found out that I definitely do not want to be a corporate librarian. Ever. But the discussion was good, and the ideas that they gave us were great, so I was really glad I went.

The problem I am finding is that I spend all my time at school. First of all, I have a three hour class every single day of the week. On top of that, we are encouraged to attend two IT workshops on Tuesdays. I could also attend a different student group meeting every day of the week, and there are numerous other meetings and guest lectures throughout the week. I left my house at 11:30 this morning and got home at 7:15. Seven and a half hours in one building. I even have a locker. Tomorrow I at least get to switch it up a bit by having a class in a different building.

So, things are going well. For now, we shall see how things go next week when I have two assignments due!

No comments: