Sunday, January 31, 2010

The smell of clean

Every once in awhile today, I caught a wiff of something, and stopped to smell. It was the smell of my laundry. I finally used the scary high efficiency washer and dryer here. Yesterday was the perfect day for it, the washer was empty and my landlords were away for the day. And I hadn't done any laundry since the 9th of January.

The only snag to the laundry plan was that my landlords were away, which meant that I still had no idea how to operate the scary-expensive brand new laundry system. Then a met a very practical classmate at the grocery store who said "Can't you just figure it out? aren't there usually instructions under the lid or something?" She made me feel silly because she had to go to a laundromat to do her laundry.

So when I got back, I decided to bite the bullet and do my laundry, crossing my fingers that my landlords either came home before I started, or didn't come home until I was done. Then, when I had my first load in the machine, I realized I had no detergent. All that discussion of laundry at the grocery store and I forgot to get the most important ingredient. So I borrowed some. Then I really crossed my fingers that they didn't come home until I was done.

The thing is, I usually go for detergent that doesn't smell like anything. I am an itchy person, especially in the winter, so I try to avoid anything that might aggravate it. So, now I am left with two loads of laundry that smell all detergenty.

And I love the smell right now, but it is so going to get old in a few days. Also, after the initial, "=sniff= mmmmm", my mind says "ewww, think of all the chemicals you are breathing in right now!" I can only assume the smell dissipates after a few days.

and now I have a headache. but that might be because I should have eaten more today.

I will remember to buy my own unscented detergent next weekend. It is on the list already!

sorry, my brain lost track of the point awhile ago, maybe its the fumes.

No comments: